2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs butter
2 finely chopped shallots
8 ounces pancetta, chopped
1/4 cup white wine
1 pound spaghetti
4 large egg yolks
1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and pancetta and cook until the shallots are softened and the pancetta is lightly browned, (2-3 mins).
- Add the wine, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half (1-2 mins). Remove from the heat.
- Cook the spaghetti in salted water (about 10 minutes). Drain (save 1/2 cup of the water) and add the pasta to the pan, returning it to medium-high heat.
- Add the egg yolks, Pecorino Romano cheese and 1/2 cup of leftover pasta water, stirring vigorously until pasta is well coated and creamy. Transfer to individual pasta dishes and serve with extra Pecorino Romano cheese on the side. Add ground black pepper to taste and buon appetito!
Pumpkin Gnocchi with Parmigiano & Sage
One 3-pound Butternut Squash
1 Cup Water
1 1/2 tsps salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 large egg
1 3/4 grated Parmigiano cheese
10 tbs unsalted butter
10 sage leaves
- Peel the butternut and roast in the oven until soft. Place in a sieve to cool, and then work the squash through the sieve into a bowl. Measure 1 1/2 cups of squash puree.
- Transfer the puree to a medium saucepan and add the water, salt, and nutmeg. When it begins to boil, slowly add a cup of the flour, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture pulls together as a smooth, bright orange ball (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and beat in the egg, then 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Turn out onto a clean work surface and let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, knead the remaining 1/2 cup flour into the dough to form a smooth ball. Divide the dough into eight pieces and roll each into a 1/2-inch-thick log, dusting the work surface with flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Cut the logs into 1-inch-long segments. Spread some flour on a baking sheet, add the gnocchi, and shake to lightly coat. Set aside until ready to cook.
- To prepare the sauce, in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the sage and cook until it starts to crisp (2 minutes). Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the gnocchi in four to five batches until they rise to the surface (about 2 minutes). Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked gnocchi to the skillet with the sauce. When all the gnocchi is cooked, place the pan over high heat for 1 to 2 minutes and toss the gnocchi with the sauce. Remove from the heat, add the remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano, and toss again. Serve and enjoy!
Penne with Sausage and Cream
2 tbs olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 pound crumbled sweet Italian sausage meat
1 cup thick cream
1 pound penne pasta
freshly grated Parmagiano cheese
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and sautè, stirring occasionally until soft and translucent (5 mins).
- Add sausage meat and cook, stirring occasionally until sausage is browned (about 10 mins).
- Add the cream, salt and pepper to taste, and cook until the sauce has thickened (2-3 mins). Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Boil penne pasta in a large pot of salted water until soft and drain.
- Place the pan with the sauce back over medium heat, add the pasta to the pan and stir until well coated.
- Serve with grated Parmagiano cheese on the side.